February 9, 2020 · 8:52 am
After almost five years of being a parent to Ivy the Wonder Cat, I’d like to think that we’ve reached a point where we understand each other pretty well.
We both like structure and we both lean toward strong adherence to a schedule, which is already half of the battle when it comes to understanding cats (and humans). In doing so, she has adjusted to my schedule and vice versa.
When Ivy meows about something, the timing and the location from where she meows is all the context I need to know whether it’s related to food, water, treats, litter box, sleep, play, attention or whether she is just making small talk.
While I make a point of regularly ensuring everything is neat, tidy, on time and according to her preferred specifications for all of checklist items above, there are times I may get caught up in the trappings of responsible adulthood and that I might miss one little detail… How foolish and selfish of me.
The rare time she might get up on the dining room table is her form of “escalation” to say that I didn’t respond properly and an identified issue remains outstanding. I don’t get mad at her when she does that. I just slowly walk over and softly ask “Should you be up there?” to which she immediately jumps off and provides another sign of what she wants.
It’s a pretty good system and seems to work… Most of the time.
Then there are those out-of-the-blue days when I have to ask “who are you and what have you done with my cat?” Continue reading →
Filed under Cats, Humour
Tagged as attention, behaviour, body language, cat, cat care, Cats, context, feline, food, funny, health, litter box, meowing, patience, personality, phase, play, random, sleep, structure, treats, vet, veterinarian, water, weird
January 19, 2020 · 8:45 am
You’d think that after 54 years, I’d know better than to start something right before bed and think, “It’ll take just five minutes.”
That’s usually when I lose track of time and the next time I look up, it is well past midnight, having overshot the estimated “five minutes” by about twenty times.
We all know that when we get ready for bed, we should be aiming to wind down to a relaxed state, to lead to a more restful sleep.
But sometimes it doesn’t take much to fall down the rabbit hole, stirring up one’s enthusiasm (or emotions) and messing up those plans.
Here they are, my 50 things that I suggest should not be done immediately before bedtime:
1. Calling a cellular/TV/Internet carrier
2. Tinkering with electronics
3. Downloading or updating apps… that’s usually when there will be technical problems like a device freezing up or a time-consuming reboot is required.
4. Learning to play a new electronic game
5. Checking out TV channels you don’t usually watch
6. Previewing the binge-worthy show everyone recommends highly
7. Watching cute pet videos
8. Watching funny baby videos
9. Watching music videos
10. Watching videos of people doing embarrassing things Continue reading →
Filed under 50+, Humour, Lists
Tagged as bedtime, insomnia, racing, random, relax, relaxation, ruminating, rumination, sleep, sleepless, techniques, thoughts
November 24, 2014 · 8:35 pm
Have you ever noticed…
1) Waiters and waitresses have an uncanny knack for coming and asking “is everything ok?.. can I get you anything else?” at the precise moment one has just taken a big bite of food.
2) How is it that I own 12 vases yet never seem to have the right size vase when someone brings over flowers?
3) As a writer, I must have writing pads and two dozen pencils scattered around the house, but how is it that I am always missing one of the two when I urgently need to capture a thought?
4) On a related note, how is it that I have 34 caps for pens in my desk drawer but nowhere near that many pens in the house?
5) On a bad-hair-day, no matter how bad you think your hair looks there’s always someone who’s having a worse-hair-day.
6) If the Bionic Woman could hear so well, Continue reading →
Filed under Humour, Misc blogs
Tagged as cough, elevators, funny, humor, humour, library, observational, power failures, random, sniffles, summer, writers problems